Wednesday, April 29, 2015

I like taxis and teleporters

In pretty much every RPG type game, there is a way to get from point A to point B fast. Usually, you have to "explore that area first" before the warp pad / travel rune / portal spell is available to you.

Then I played Eve Online. No teleporters. You could "autopilot" your ship from one system to the next, but that was stupid in that it made you a sitting duck. At first, I thought "Ok, this is different, I can learn to like this."

But there were two overarching problems. First, if you needed something from the trade hub (Jita was closest to me, at 12 jumps away.) you had to travel for up to 30 minutes to get there. What happens is most people "live" near the hub. With the hub itself being a ridiculous mass of chaos. Going to Jita the first time wasn't so bad... but after a while it was a time sucking pain even in my fastest ship, and if I had to take the Orca, youch.

Taxis and teleporters just allow you to get to where you're going fast and without stress. Idiots can't set up traps for you to fall into along the way, and you get back to what you were doing in a hurry. Can you imagine having to take a land route in WoW to Stormshield from your Garrison? What if you had to do that every day? You'd go nuts!

No comments:

Post a Comment